Academic Editor Shares The Writing Secrets
Academic editing service is necessary for modern students.
Faced with the need to verify information, we often encounter various dictionaries and encyclopedias, which are the “final instance” in an attempt to find out the truth. Sometimes we do not even think about the fact that a human who is inclined to make mistakes creates these sources, like everything else in our world. All the sources may be erroneous. However, no wonder the scientific and reference books are considered the most accurate. In a literal sense, every word in it is verified by attentive workers - academic editors. Let meet these people to know more about the profession of an academic editors and academic essay writer.
Here is an interview with the academic editor from smartessayrewriter.com.
- What did you want to be in childhood?
- In my childhood, I dreamed of becoming a scientist. Unfortunately, I did not succeed in this, but one cannot say that I completely drifted away from it. I am in an environment directly related to science, every day I deal with scientific knowledge and help bring it to people. To some extent, it is even more interesting than the highly specialized work of a scientist. The scientific editor has the widest possible outlook, because he or she deals with many areas of knowledge.
- How did your acquaintance with the profession begin?
In the high school, I wanted to become a journalist. True, that time, editing was not perceived as a serious application for a future profession, but it seemed just a nice bonus and another line in a blue crust. I gradually fell in love with editorial work.
Search for errors is my kind of interactive detective story, to trace the plot, the logic of the text, to identify and neutralize the error that may seem inconspicuous from the first glance... That is a kind of excitement. In the end, it is a special pleasure to reread the text, where no more rough edges.
- Tell me about the academic editing agencies you are currently working for.
- I work in the smartessayrewriter.com. This company was created seven years ago. It specializes in editing, rewriting and writing services for students. Our writers possess a unique knowledge of academic writing and can manage any task no matter how difficult it is. In addition, the sentence, resume and paragraph rewriting are possible to order.
The mission of our agency is improving the writing works and obtaining the good result.
- How did your colleagues meet you?
- I am very lucky to be a part of that team. People, who work here, are very friendly and pleasant. Colleagues treated me with an understanding, because the first time in a new place you are very worried and try to understand what others are already doing almost mechanically.
At first, I was not trusted serious tasks. This means that even a person with higher specialized education, PHP or Master Degree cannot immediately join the deferred mechanism of the work of a scientific editing company. To “get involved” in the workflow, at first I just made edits made by other editors before me. However, I learned the correct structure, formatting, remembered the abbreviations, understood the specifics of such texts very quickly. When I arrived on my first official working day, I no longer felt unarmed and helpless. Although, having worked for six months, I still constantly ask my colleagues for advice.
- What are the main requirements for edit essay services and for an academic editor particularly?
- There are few requirements, but they are all very serious. First, it is an appropriate education. Secondly, experience in the proofreading or editing company.
Enthusiasm is also important, because without it, it is very difficult every day to perform monotonous duties in places. In addition, of course, you can not forget about the sober look and understanding of the real amount of work.
- What is the specificity of the work of academic proofreading service and an academic editor?
- The work of a scientific editor is very, very responsible. After all, even if a mistake in an admission essay is just a nuisance, an error in a resume or, especially, in academic paper can be a disaster.
It is necessary to combine different professional qualities in oneself, to become “many-armed Shiva editing”. After all, literary and scientific control are two very different processes that must be carried out exclusively in turns. In addition, they should be performed in the best way.
The academic editor should check each written paper for all the necessary requirements. To maintain the quality of the material, the academic editor should pay attention to the main characteristics of the incoming writings. For example, they must be written in an understandable language even with complicated terms, contain new knowledge; comply with various publishing standards, etc. You may check free samples of written essays here: http://smartessayrewriter.com/blog/an-essay-on-medicine-example-editing.
- What is your workday like?
- Every day I have the work like this: proofreading and editing, academic and literacy control, reconciliation of the changes made ... Only the projects you are working on are replaced.
The work goes smoothly, article by article, but sometimes you have to postpone all the planned cases and do an urgent project. The company works 24/7 and sometimes our customers need the urgent help.
- Is the work of a scientific editor more team-based or most often you have to work alone?
- Any custom writing company is a coordinated mechanism. This is especially true of the companies working on academic projects. Each stage is extremely important and does not tolerate negligence.
It all starts with support departments: they take the orders from the customers, the procedure is quite simple. Then the writers work with the papers, it may include writing from the scratch, rewriting of the whole text or a part of it, the polishing of the articles. After that, the paper is delivered to the customer. Every detail is important. In addition, it is important to track that the strict structure of any academic material is preserved, the sequence of presentation, conditional abbreviations are observed, there are no deviations from the academic style and many other aspects that need to be taken into account: http://smartessayrewriter.com/blog/have-your-essay-proofread-quality-and-result-guaranteed
Difficult issues and controversial issues are always solved together in our online office. Even the most experienced and qualified specialists do not neglect the opportunity to consult with colleagues.
- How long does it take to fulfill the duties for a 24 / 7 online proofreader?
- The amount of time required for an academic editor to work, depends on the terms and conditions mentioned by the customer.
The execution of duties directly depends on the number of editors in the structure of the custom writing company.
Another aspect of the work of the editor is communication with colleagues. In addition, it is necessary to answer various kinds of questions. The amount of time required for this amount of work is very difficult to estimate. It depends on the nature of the work and the requirements of the customer.
- Tell us about the difficulties encountered in the work of an academic editor in a custom writing company.
- First, being a science editor is a huge responsibility.
- Secondly, you need to concentrate constantly. After all, it is impossible to be an expert in absolutely all areas, but the scientific editor has to work with the texts of various branches of scientific knowledge. For example, first read the texts on genetics and mathematical analysis, and then on history and geography.
- Thirdly, it is important to abstract from complex terms and see the big picture: how the text is built, how the sentences are coordinated, how the thought develops ... Even for an editor who has many encyclopedic texts behind his or her back, there is no guarantee that the new material will not look like a magic spell.
- What job duties do you like to perform the most?
- There are other exciting responsibilities. For example, literary editing of the text.
Literary editing of the text includes both proofreading and style work. This is a true art, because to correct a lexical error or violation of the norm of usage, you need to know it, otherwise it will go unnoticed.
It is very important to preserve the style of the text, which is impossible without a certain flair. The process of improving the composition is also quite interesting. You need to follow the sequence of presentation and breaking the text into semantic fragments. In some cases, it is necessary to redo or shorten the text (to eliminate repetitions, superfluous details), which is also a peculiar skill that can be learned only by practice.
Special attention should be paid to the verification of factual material, which is presented in the text in the form of quotations, terms, names, dates, names and numbers, etc. Probably, this stage is the most tedious for me, because if the text contains a large amount of factual material, the work of checking it often turns into a routine, which is not the case for the above steps.
Even at the University, we practiced with fellow students “fighting” with all kinds of textual incidents in literary editing techniques, found deftly hidden instructors' style faults, offered different versions of edits ... It is really fascinated.
- Who, in your opinion, will suit the profession of a scientific editor?
- This is a profession for attentive, diligent, able to catch fire in search of a small detail of people. As a rule, people who are not indifferent to languages and have a good command of them become scientific editors.
A broad outlook also helps a lot in such a profession, knowledge helps to identify factual errors.
- How does such a huge amount of knowledge you dive into every day affect you?
- The biggest plus of this profession is that you “pump” yourself intellectually. Passing through tons of encyclopedic information, it is impossible not to leave a drop for yourself.
Of course, in professional terms, I still have a long way to go, because scientific editing is a truly specific and complex area of editorial work, in which there are many difficulties.
- What do you think is the most important thing in your profession?
- The work of the scientific editor is on three pillars:
- the first is attentiveness
- the second is scrupulousness
- the third is pickiness
More to read in this section: